One of the most essential apps developed by Microsoft is Microsoft Outlook, which has a special component known as Outlook PST files. These files tend to contain all the data for your inbox and if you have more than one email account, you will eventually have a number of PST files. Sometimes the need for merging PST files arises because of various reasons.
What is the need to merge Outlook PST files?
There are various reasons why one might do it and one of the main reasons for doing is that you will get the files in new data files. You can achieve the following objectives by merging the PST files:
- Combine multiple old Outlook and other accounts
- You can merge social and work accounts
- Backup the data of existing accounts
- Share or receive files from a team or family member
- Move to a different service provider or exchange the same.
- There might be many other reasons why you want to do so depending upon your choice an needs.
Let’s have a look at how you can do it following simple methods.
How to merge Outlook PST files?
Merge Outlook PST files within Outlook- You can easily merge Personal Storage Table files without moving away from Outlook. It is a simple task that mechanizes with all the versions of Outlook that came after 2007. Doing so involves a two-way process:
Create an Outlook Data File (.pst) to save your information
Firstly, you need to create a fresh or blank PST file and secondly import it to some other location. You can do it the following way:
- Navigate to the menu tab available in your home screen followed by “New Items”.
- In this step, move to the “More Items” option and then tap on the “Outlook Data Files”.
- This way you will have a blank file. It is suggested that you rename and save it on the desired location.
- Now you have to move to the file you have created and the right clock on it. The screen will display a drop-down menu list, from which you have to choose the “Open & Export” option.
- Now click on the “Import” option followed by “Import from another program or file”.
- In the screen that appears, click Outlook Data File (.pst).
- In this step, find the file that you wish to import and click on the options according to your wish. You are provided with the options such as “replace duplicate files”, “allow the creation of duplicates”, or “refuse the import of duplicate files”.
- While importing PST files, you will need to have a password to perform this task.
- Once the process completes, you can follow the same process for as many files as you want.
Use Merge PST Files Tool- this tool can be used to merge a large number of files at the same time. This tool has comprehensive options that allow you to make selections according to your needs. This tool allows you to filter the files by folder type, contacts or calendar folders, etc.
To sum up-
You can choose various other methods to merge office.com/setup Outlook PST files but the manual procedure is considered on the best. Although it can become hectic and time-consuming if you want to merge a large number of files simultaneously.